a bit of holiday catch-up

We are all still alive. It has been a long time since I’ve written, I know. My only excuse is holidays. We left for a week to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family, came home for three weeks–just enough time to put up our own Christmas tree and a few Christmas lights before we went to see my husband’s family for two weeks of Christmas vacation. Now, of course, another holiday weekend is coming to an end, so I thought I’d take the opportunity to get back on track with my posts. That still hasn’t exactly happened, but at least I’m not two full months behind anymore.


So, here’s a recap: We headed to Mississippi for Thanksgiving, and it was the longest drive Baby Guy has ever endured. He actually did quite well, and about 14 hours, 5 million Cheerios, and 17 organic food pouches later, we arrived at our destination. We enjoyed the balmy weather, had some great quality family time, ate tons of delicious food courtesy of my mom and sister, and even managed a complete transition from Thanksgiving to Christmas, meaning that we headed home in full Christmas mode and laden with full hearts and many gifts.

Once home, we unpacked, got back in the swing of things, took care of Baby Guy’s first ever ear infection, went out seeking a perfect and petite Christmas tree for our brief stay at home, took advantage of our first good snowfall of the year (to get our Christmas photo and let Baby Guy play in the snow for the first time) and attended a number of church Christmas events. Oh, and I’m pretty sure that we kept Amazon, UPS, and the USPS our fair share of busy with all of our online shopping, too.

Next, we packed up for our two weeks in Tennessee. We left a day after we’d planned (due to inclement weather), but had an uneventful drive (Baby Guy’s second longest ever) and arrived in good spirits. We spent time with family, ate plenty of great food, did some shopping, enjoyed the outdoor play that 80 degree weather (the week before Christmas!) affords, and when our time was up, once again headed home with a van full of new gifts and good memories.

We only drove halfway home before we stopped in Ohio to spend New Years Eve with family. They graciously took us in for the night on short notice, and we had a great time visiting!

On New Years Day we headed first to IKEA, and then to L. L. Bean, both of which are exciting luxuries for us, and after leaving both stores earlier than we wanted to (but still two hours late for the little guy’s nap), we grabbed some food to go and headed the rest of the way home.

Now, two weeks later, our Christmas tree is down, our floor is, more often than not, littered with new toys and books that Baby Guy is enjoying, and we are pretty thrilled that we were able to spend so much time with our families this year.

Baby Guy was a champion throughout the holidays. He consistently slept well, ate fairly well, and behaved quite nicely (with a few exciting toddler assertions of opinion here and there).

I hope that each of you had happy holidays, and I wish you a calm, stress-free remainder of January and a new year full of blessings!


About mrsmartin

I love to camp, hike, read, take pictures, spend time with friends and family, play word games, and learn stuff about all kinds of different things. I'm a Seventh-day Adventist Christian. I'm a vegetarian teetotaler. I used to be a teacher and now I'm a wife and a mom.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s